19 November 2008

Ready for Winter


I've been preserving the harvest this year and tonight it was time to reap some of those rewards. The cold weather gave me a hankerin' for Red Bean and Quinoa Chili. So, I used some local frozen corn and some local canned tomatoes which I processed in September, combined them with local fresh bell pepper, garlic, and onion, and of course kidney beans (not local but cooked from scratch!) and quinoa (not local, but I hear there IS local quinoa which I am determined to find!) - and added a tomato juice ice cube (local!) - and I made a very nice chili indeed.

Sergio's new winter coat came in the mail today - while I was dishing out our dinner, he tried on his coat and confirmed that it will be just the thing he needs to keep him warm this season. With a new boldness towards the cold weather that he typically abhors, he asserted, "Winter's got nothing on me."

And with two heaping bowls of my mostly local chili, I heartily agreed.


RED BEAN AND QUINOA CHILI
from "Feeding the Whole Family" by Cynthia Lair

2 t. olive oil
1 onion, chopped
2 t. sea salt
1 green pepper, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 or 2 t. cumin
1 t. dried oregano
1/8 t. cinnamon
1/8 t. cayenne
2/3 cup quinoa, rinsed in warm water and drained
1 cup fresh or frozen corn
1 or 2 cups tomato sauce or crushed tomatoes
1 cup water or broth
1 can of kidney beans (or one cup of dry beans, soaked 6-8 hours, cooked 50-60 minutes with cumin and a bay leaf)

Heat oil in skillet on medium. Add onion, salt, garlic, pepper, and spices; sauté for 5 to 10 minutes. Add rinsed quinoa and stir in. Add corn, tomatoes, and water (or broth) to onion/quinoa mixture. Simmer 20 minutes. Add cooked beans to other ingredients; simmer around 10 minutes.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Local Burger's veggie patties are made with quinoa. Bet it's, um, local.

I cooked Adzuki beans for the first time ever. Made simple soup with carrots, onions, garlic and spices. I topped mine with Greek yogurt. Scott added tons of hot sauce to his, which is to say he didn't like it so much.

Emily said...

I haven't had Adzuki beans - sounds delicious. I'm enamored with anasazi beans - have you tried those. We can't get beans locally can we?